HomeOpinionLETTER: Registrar Gives Tips on Absentee Ballots

LETTER: Registrar Gives Tips on Absentee Ballots


The following is a letter to the editor. To submit your own letter, e-mail the editor at andrewsylvia@westfordtemplate.com

As a member of the Westford Board of Registrars, I am sometimes asked how to request an absentee ballot for college students. Whether you are a college student, frequent business traveler or find yourself unable to go to the polls on Election Day, a family member may request an absentee ballot be mailed to you on your behalf.

The form to use is the Absentee Ballot Application by a Family Member, which may be obtained at the Town Clerk’s office or downloaded at the Secretary of State’s website, (http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleifv/howabs.htm). A “family member” must be: a spouse or person residing in the same household, in-laws, father, mother, sister or brother of the whole or half blood, son, daughter, adopting parent or adopted child, stepparent or stepchild, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, grandparent or grandchild. The application may be mailed or delivered in person to the Town Clerk’s office.

Upon receipt of the application, an absentee ballot will be mailed to the voter from the Westford Town Clerk’s office. To be counted, absentee ballots must be received by the time the polls close on Election Day. However, absentee ballots may not be hand-delivered to the polls. They must be delivered to the Town Clerk’s office by close of business or 4 pm. So be sure to fill out and mail your absentee ballot with enough time for the post office to deliver it.

Alisa Nakashian-Holsberg

Republican representative, Westford Board of Registrars


Comments are closed.