WESTFORD — A group of residents are gearing up for Earth Day in April, hosting community events to promote climate action throughout the town.
Westford Climate Action is a grassroots organization founded by residents who are concerned about the climate crisis. Since 2020, the organization found success in increasing renewables within the town’s municipal energy aggregation and passing a climate resolution during the 2020 Special Town Meeting.
The group plans to host nature hikes every Saturday in addition to workshops for students and their families. Guests will discuss Weather forecasting, recycling and mushroom growing with students and their families.
These events culminate in the group’s Earth Day Festival, hosting live music, speakers and a petting zoo. Guests include experts on alternative energy, sustainability and recycling. Speakers will discuss the state’s climate goals, as well as Westford’s own climate goals during the festival.
Other organizations such as the Westford Museum have partnered with Westford Climate Action to display Native American Artifacts from its collection.
A full list of events are below:
- O’Brien Farm | Saturday, April 2 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Stone Arch Bridge | Saturday, April 9 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Burns Hill | Saturday, April 16 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Frances Hill | Saturday, April 23 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
In the event of rain, walks will be pushed to the following Sunday.
- WBZ-TV Meteorologist Sarah Wroblewski | Tuesday, April 19 at 11 a.m. | JV Fletcher Library | Register
- Elizabeth Alemeida from Fat Moon Mushrooms | Tuesday, April 19 at 2 p.m. | JV Fletcher Library | Register
- Christine Berthold from Fresh Start Food Gardens | Wednesday, April 20 at 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and noon. | JV Fletcher Library | Register
- Animal Craze Traveling Farm | Friday, April 22 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. | Westford Common
- J.V. Fletcher Library (via zoom) | April 14 at 7 p.m. | Register here
- Upcycled Book Art | Wednesday, April 20 from 2:00—3:00 | JV Fletcher Library
The Earth Day Festival will take place on Friday, April 22 from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Westford Town Common. Email Emily Teller at email@example.com with questions.