WESTFORD – The Westford Fire Department (WFD) responded to another electrical fire early Friday morning.
According to an announcement posted by the WFD on social media, “members of A-Shift from the Headquarters, Nabnasset, and Forge Village stations, along with the Westford Police Department, were dispatched to a home on Steven Circle after a resident called reporting smoke inside their home.”
When firefighters arrived to the scene they reported “smoke coming from the second floor windows and a heavy smoke condition inside a second floor bedroom.”
Additionally, “a tanker from the Carlisle Fire Department was requested given the scene’s location outside of the fire hydrant district,” the department reported.
The WFD was called to the scene after one of the occupants of the home reported a strange odor coming from the bedroom of another occupant who was still asleep at the time.
All occupants of the home were able to safely evacuate unharmed and call 911 by the time the firefighters arrived on the scene, however, the smoke alarms did not sound until the bedroom door of the source was opened due to the location of the alarm.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames within the smokey room. According to the WFD, “the cause of the fire is believed to be from a malfunction of wiring for a macrame style light fixture that was not in use at the time of the fire.”
In order to prevent future electrical fires, the WFD released several tips to help inform Westford residents on the dangers of improperly installed plugs and wires, and how to prevent the chance of short-circuiting and starting an electrical fire.
Local journalism is vital to our communities. As other publications shift focus toward regional journalism, WestfordCAT continues to provide high-quality hyperlocal reporting to our town, free for everyone to read. So — we have a small favor to ask. Every contribution, no matter how big or small, helps us sustain our journalism and keep our community informed. Please consider supporting WestfordCAT for as little as $1 on PayPal.